Categories
Pillsbury History

MPF / Pillsbury Plant Grand Opening in 1930 included a Sangamo Club Reception

The Sunday edition of the Illinois State Register on April 28, 1929 had a frontpage headline that read: “PILLSBURY TO LOCATE BIG MILL HERE”.  Work to build the flour mill began shortly after.  Within a few months, local employees were hired.  In February of 1930 the mill began limited operations as the workers fine-tuned the equipment.

The Sangamo Club hosted the grand opening public reception for the Pillsbury leaders that made their way to Springfield from Minneapolis on the afternoon of May 3, 1930. That same evening, 200 business leaders from Springfield attended a celebratory banquet at the Abraham Lincoln Hotel.
The Sangamo Club. Photo Credit: Moving Pillsbury Forward.

The Sangamo Club hosted the grand opening public reception for the Pillsbury leaders that made their way to Springfield from Minneapolis on the afternoon of May 3, 1930.  That same evening, 200 business leaders from Springfield attended a celebratory banquet at the Abraham Lincoln Hotel.  An excerpt of the Illinois State Register article reads:

“Pillsbury’s Best” merited the city’s best today and Springfield was attired in holiday garb to celebrate the opening of the Pillsbury Plant.  Catching the eye in numerous store windows both downtown and outlying sections of the city were engaging displays of the various Pillsbury food products.  Flags also were displayed.

Several streets were lined with placards of greeting to the Minneapolis delegation and the trails from the business district to the plant were similarly marked.

The Sangamo Club was a part of “the city’s best” for a good long time…just as Pillsbury was.

This week we say farewell to The Sangamo Club…22 years after the last flour was milled at Pillsbury on May 24, 2001.  Each had a good long run and deserves a special place in our Springfield memories.

Chris Richmond
pillsburyproject.org

State Journal-Register: “Sangamo Club to close doors Friday after 133 years”